I must confess that I learnt more than what I was expecting. In a way, I already envision myself talking and writing about Dr. Oz and the amazing organic remedies I've learnt for the next year! Yes, after losing over 68 pounds I am exciting to discover the exciting world of organic food in America. Since this is my first time losing so much weight at once, I am totally new to everything--from adapting to my new small appetite, to my desire to learn new recipes to avoid greasy habits, find vegetarian recipes similar to the Mediterranean cuisine, discover new healthy habits from other cultures, you name it--this educational journey is simply amazing :)
Today I am sharing with you three (3) nature’s best energy builders easy-to-do snacks recipes to boost your energy on the go. Lately with my limited mobility I am learning lots of tricks to keep you going throughout the week without exhausting yourself going to the groceries, cooking for too long, etc. Do you know more easy-to-cook snacks and quick bites? Share them on the comment section, I would love to hear from you!
1.- Oat straw extract – it is an all-natural energy booster with no sugar or caffeine, your best companion to keep your nutrition in balance. Oat straw extract, also know as “avena sativa” (its Latin name) is native to the warm Mediterranean regions and most known as oatmeal, the famous nutritious cereal grain that it provides. Oat straw can be sold as:
- dried herb/tea,
- osage Information.
- Oatmeal – the ground grain, has high silica content, and can be used externally for skin problems.
- Oatbran – produced from the coarse husks of the grain, is helpful for reducing cholesterol levels.
- Expand the arteries in your brain so more blood pumps through it, revving brain function.
- Nerve tonics for weakened constitutions. In Europe, herbalists and alternative health practitioners prescribe oat straw as an excellent tonic for the whole body, and valuable for bolstering physical and emotional fatigue, from mild insomnia to anxiety.
- Combat fluid retention when dealing with diuretic problems – normally taken as a diuretic tea.
- Treat a number of ailments, including arthritis, rheumatism, shingles, herpes infections, and addictions.
- Topical remedy for irritated and inflamed dry skin.
2.- Dr. Oz’s No-Bake Energy Bars – designed to help you fight off the mid-day slump! The combination of protein, fiber and antioxidants will stabilize your blood sugar and rev up your energy for hours. Do you want to know how to prepare them? It’s pretty simple!
- 1 cup quick-cook oats, uncooked
- 1/3 cup dried tart cherries
- 1/2 cup all-natural peanut butter
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Mix the ingredients together in a bowl making sure all the ingredients blend.
- Spread the mixture in a pan and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Slice and enjoy! Return uneaten bars to fridge for storage.
3.- Lemon water – Lemon is a good antioxidant with anti-cancer properties. Lemons contain vitamin C, B-complex vitamins, calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, and fiber. (#FACT: they contain more potassium than apples or grapes!)
Because of how hard lemon juice can be on the enamel of your teeth, it’s important to dilute it with water of any temperature (though lukewarm is recommended). Drink it first thing in the morning, and wait 15 to 30 minutes to have breakfast. This will help you fully receive all the benefits of lemon water I am listing below:
- Cleanses your system - Since most of our work is around systems, it is important to highlight that lemon water helps flush out the toxins in your body by enhancing enzyme function, stimulating your liver.
- Gives your immune system a boost - Vitamin C is like our immune system’s jumper cables, and lemon juice is full of it. The level of vitamin C in your system is one of the first things to plummet when you're stressed and/or sick, which is why experts recommended popping extra vitamin C during especially stressful days. For example, warm lemon water is the most effective way to diminish viral infections and their subsequent sore throats. You’ll simultaneously fight off the infection completely if you start drinking warm lemon water every day.
- Aids digestion - Lemon juice not only encourages healthy digestion by loosening toxins in your digestive tract, it helps to relieve symptoms of indigestion such as heartburn, burping, and bloating.
- Freshens your breath - It also helps relieve toothaches and gingivitis (say wha?). Because the citric acid can erode tooth enamel, either hold off on brushing your teeth after drinking lemon water or brush your teeth before drinking it. Just remember this is not peppermint :D
- Keeps your skin blemish-free - The antioxidants in lemon juice helps you decrease blemishes and wrinkles!! It can also be applied to scars and age spots to reduce their appearance, and because it’s detoxifying your blood, it will maintain your skin’s radiance.
- Excellent source of potassium - As already mentioned, lemons are high in potassium, which is good for heart health, as well as brain and nerve function.
- Helps you lose weight - Lemons contain pectin fiber, which assists in fighting hunger cravings. Of course, this is not something you feel happening in a short term. Drinking lemon water should be incorporated as a daily habit to get the most out of their benefits in a long run.
- Reduces inflammation - If you drink lemon water on a regular basis, it will decrease the acidity in your body, which is where disease states occur. It removes uric acid in your joints, which is one of the main causes of inflammation.
- Gives you an energy boost - Lemon juice provides your body with energy when it enters your digestive tract, and it also helps reduce anxiety and depression. (Even the scent of lemons has a calming effect on your nervous system!)
- Helps to cut out caffeine - This is so true! I didn’t believe this until I tried it, but replacing my morning coffee with a cup of hot lemon water has really done wonders! I feel refreshed, and no longer have to deal with that pesky afternoon crash. Plus, my nerves are thankful.
Of course you can combine lemon water with other fruits, such as oranges, cucumbers, strawberries, berries, etc. My suggestion is to avoid adding sugar to this wonderful energetic drink, instead look for sweet fruits and/or sweet-enhancing spices such as cinnamon for a fresh, uplifting flavor. The more colorful you make the drink, the more you will find it attractive and your body will appreciate it!